Academy Research Fellow of the Academy of Finland (2015-2020) at the
Institute for Molecular Medicine Finland (FIMM), University of Helsinki, Finland.
Assistant Professor of Statistical Genomics jointly at the
Department of Mathematics and Statistics and Faculty of Medicine,
University of Helsinki, Finland.
Title of Docent in Statistics at the
Faculty of Science, University of Helsinki, Finland.
Member of Centre of Excellence in Complex Disease Genetics 2018-2025
Contact: matti.pirinen 'at' helsinki.fi
I work with statistical and population genetics.
Recently, in particular methodologies related to
Teaching at University of Helsinki
PhD theses supervised
Master's theses supervised at University of Helsinki
- Hautakangas, Heidi, 2018, LD Score
regression for estimating and partitioning heritability of lipid levels in the Finnish population
- Tuominen, Samuli, 2018, Association between polygenic methylation scores and maternal phenotypes
- Ruotsalainen, Sanni, 2017, Univariate and multivariate statistical tests in genetic association studies
- Lääperi, Mitja, 2015, Linear mixed models for estimating heritability and testing genetic association in family data
- Sandoval Zarate, America, 2015, Discovering disease trajectories from the Finnish Hospital Discharge Register with the MCL algorithm
- Kerminen, Sini, 2015, Genetic population structure in Finland: an advantage of haplotype information over independent genetic markers
- Statistics (Statistical Genetics) at the University of Helsinki (2004-2009).
PhD thesis (Summary part)
Bayesian inference for retrospective population genetics models using Markov chain
Monte Carlo methods.
Supervised by Elja Arjas , Dario Gasbarra and Mikko J Sillanpää.
- Mathematics (Mathematical Logic) at the University of Helsinki (1999-2003).
Master's thesis in Finnish (PDF):
On the cardinality of the set of equivalence classes of analytic and coanalytic equivalence relations in Polish spaces.
Supervised by Jouko Väänänen.