(a short version) Curriculum Vitae: Mauri Åhlberg
Full name: Mauri Kalervo Åhlberg
Born: 17. 12. 1945, Helsinki.
Widower, my wife, Anneli Åhlberg died in Dec 18, 2009. After that I am remarried in 8 June 2012. My wife is Mrs. Marja Åhlberg.
Address: Department of
Teacher Education(University of Helsinki), P.O.Box
9, 00014 University of Helsinki, FINLAND, http://www.helsinki.fi/teachereducation/staff/alphabetic.html
Most of my publications and other academic activities are listed in more detail in the following web address (The official site of research activities of staff/personel at University of Helsinki):
FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/people/Mauri-Ahlberg/100000393951781 (I use this site to promote both personal and professional learning for good life, good environment and sustainability. Also research methods issues are discussed. If it goes very deep, then special groups will be created. New Fb friends who share these interests are welcome. )
NEWS in June 16, 2011:
I am a co-author in the new research methods textbook in print:
Wheeldon, J. & Ahlberg, M. 2011. Visualizing Social Science Research: Maps, Methods, & Meaning. Los Angeles: SAGE.
Employment and qualifications
•Professor of Biology and Sustainability Education (Professor
of Biological Education and Education for Sustainable Development), from March 1, 2004, http://www.helsinki.fi/behav/uutisarkisto/2004/uutinen-03-12-2004.htm
(This professorship was earlier Professor of Biology and Geograpy Education from 1970s: http://notes.helsinki.fi/halvi/hallinto/Rehtorin.nsf/0/e8ff6d9879409784c2256c5400215405?OpenDocument
• Visiting Professor of the University of Exeter, Graduate School of Education, 2003 - 2015,
• FLS, Fellow of the Linnean Society of London (24. 1. 2008 -), http://www.linnean.org/
• Member of CEC
(Commission on Education and Communication) of IUCN ( the International Union for Conservation of Nature), 2009 - , http://cec.wcln.org/index.php?module=pagesetter&func=viewpub&tid=1&pid=668
•Starting from 2009 I am a Finnish specialist in IUCN Commission on Education and Communication CEC Each specialist represents her or his expertise, http://www.iucn.org/about/union/commissions/cec/?2614/
• Since 2010, Senior Advisor of ENSI, internationally one of the most prestigious Environmental and Sustainability education programs, http://www.ensi.org/About_ENSI/Members/Senior_Advisors/
• Professor of Education, University of Joensuu, 1998 - 28. 2. 2004
• Acting Professor of Education, University of Joensuu, 1996 - 1998
• Associate Professor of Education, University of Joensuu, 1992 -
• In 1992 based on reports of official assessors, the Faculty of Education,
University of Joensuu, announced me as qualified to both professorships,
which I had applied for: 1) Professor of Education, in particular
Didactics (Didaktik), and 2) Professor of Education, in particular
Research Methodology of Teaching and Learning.
• Acting Associate Professor of Education, University of Joensuu,
1989 - 1992
• Senior lecturer, Department of Education, University of Helsinki,
• Lecturer, Department of Teacher Education, University of Helsinki,
1985 - 1989.
- Acting Senior Lecturer of Biological and Geographical Education,
Department of Teacher Education, University of Helsinki, 1985
• Lecturer, Department of Teacher Education, University of Helsinki,
1981 - 1985.
• Acting Assistant/Lecturer, Department of Education, University of
Helsinki, 1975 - 1981.
• Selvitystyön tekijä (Researcher on Education and Profession
of Biologists), Division of Natural Sciences, University of Helsinki,
• Lecturer of Biology and Geography, Etelä-Espoon yhteiskoulu,
1973 - 1974.
• Acting lecturer of Biology and Geography, Helsingin Normaalilyseo
(becoming University practice school), 1972 - 1973.
• Acting Lecturer of Biology and Geography, Alppilan yhteislyseo,
- Acting Lecturer of Biology and Geography, Porvoon yhteislyseo,
- Research assistant of the research group Leikola-Lähdeoja-Mälkönen
(IBP-International Biological Program: primary production of terrestrial
Education and qualification
Docent of Biology and Sustainability Education, University of Joensuu,
2004 - 31.12.2009.
• Docent of Biology and Sustainability Education, University orf Eastern Finland, 1. 1. 2010 -
Docent of Education, University of Helsinki, 1989 - 2004.
Doctor of Philosophy (Education), University of Helsinki, 1988.
Thesis: Kasvatustavoitteiden teoreettinen kehikko ja sen empiiristä
koettelua [Theoretical framework of educational objectives and its
empirical testing]. Eximia cum laude approbatur. Supevisor: Prof.
Erkki A. Niskanen.
Lisenciate of Philosophy ((Education), University of Helsinki, 1977.
Thesis: Elämänikäisen biologisen ja maantieteellisen
kasvatuksen teorian kehittelyä [Towards a theory of lifelong
biological and geographical education]. Magna cum laude approbatur.
Supevisor: Prof. Erkki A. Niskanen.
Professional licence/certification for teaching biology and geography
in primary and secondary schools. Helsinki Normal School I and II,
Master of Science, major in Zoology, minors in Zoology, Geography,
Genetics, Chemistry, Statistics. University of Helsinki, 1972. Thesis:Alkon
runsaasti ja vähän juovien rottakantojen valosignaalin
oppimisnopeudesta T-käytävässä [Compairing discrimination
learning of two groups of white rats, which use different amounts
of alcohol]. Eximia cum laude approbatur. Supervisors: Professors
Henrik Wallgren and Ernst Palmén.
Bachelor of Science, Major in Botany, minors in Zoology, Geography
and Chemistry. University of Helsinki, 1970. Thesis: Kasvillisuuden
ja maannosten luokitusten vertailua [Comparing taxonomies of vegetation
and soils]. Supervisors: Professors Risto Tuomikoski and Aarno Kalela.
Written college matriculation examinations, Alppila Comprehensive
School (Alppilan yhteislyseo). (The only state owned official experimental
school). Rector: Paavo Malinen. 1965. Laudatur.
Courses taught in Finland, 1975 -
Doctoral level: Research methods courses for doctoral candidates,
seminars and supervision of doctoral studies and Doctor's theses,
methods for textbook research, concept mapping as a research method.
Collaborative knowledge building in the Knowledge Age using Knowledge
Forum® as a group level digital learning space. Education for
Sustainable Development, Environmental Education. Integrating education,
Continual quality improvement, high quality learning. Good teacher
according to educational research.
Master's and Bachelor's levels: -Didaktiikka 1 and 2- are two main
courses of what is the core of teacher's profession: pedagogical
thinking and acting, main elements of education, curriculum theory,
what research tells about teaching, teaching methods, and pupils'
learning. These two courses include Education for Sustainable Development
(Their main focus is: Research and Development of on teacher's work,
school curriculum, teaching and learning, including Education for
Sustainable Development). Research seminars, research strategy,
research methods, evaluation/assessment of curriculum, teaching
and learning, both basic and intermediate statistical analysis,
and advanced multivariate statistical analysis, practical qualitative
research methods, multimethod research, action research, design
experiments, methods for textbook research, concept mapping as a
research method. Collaborative knowledge building in the Knowledge
Age using Knowledge Forum® as a group level digital learning
space. Ecology for Kindergarten teachers,
Courses taught and lectures given in other countries
Concept mapping as a research method, University of Exeter, England,
Lecturing about Materials for Constructivistic Environmental Education,
mainly to be used in pre-service and in-service teacher education:
An integrating approach to environmental learning use of concept
maps to promote Education for Sustainable Development. A Summer
Seminar of Environmental Education for Teachers, Rimini, arranged
by University of Genoa, Italy, 1999.
a course of Environmental Education for Sustainable Development
in the framework of the international Masters Program in Human Ecology
at Free University Brussels, Belgium, 21. 10. - 26. 10. 1995. (Invitation
from Prof. Luc Hens, Professor of Human Ecology.)
a keynote speaker in the European Seminar on Environmental Education
Research, March 1 - 2, 1995. European Training and Research Centre,
University of Bradford. England.
a keynote speaker in the conference of European Environmental Futures,
conference on Environmental Education, October 11 - 16, 1994, arranged
by University of Latvia, Riga and Jurmala, Latvia.
Organizing bigger educational wholes than separate courses, seminars
'From Bachelors of Education to Masters of Education' programme
as in-service education (40 credits) in cooperation between the
Faculty Education, University of Joensuu and Rantasalmi Institute
of Environmental Education. The theme of this whole programme was
Education for Sustainable Development. I was the main organizer.
1998 - 2000. Fifteen teachers achieved their target, Master of Education..
International Professional Development (40 credits) courses of Education
for Sustainable Development in co-operation between University of
Joensuu and Rantasalmi Institute of Environmental Education. I was
the main organiser together with the Dean of The Faculty, Professor
Leena Aho, 1997 - 1999.
One of the main practical organisers of the Northern Call for the
Environment, International Conference on Environmental Education,
Savonlinna, Finland, June 26 - 30, 1996.
Main organiser together with Associate Professor Marja-Liisa Julkunen
of the Second International Conference on Pedagogic Text Analysis
and Content Analysis: 'TEXT and CONTENT', Siikasalmi June 10 - 12,
Examples of prominent students whom I have
supervised, Doctor's theses etc.:
Supervising ten Doctoral dissertatons in my R&D program
of Education for Sustainable Development: Vuokko Vienola 1995, Markku
Kankkunen 1999, Ilona Wilska-Pekonen 2001, Raimo Pitkänen 2001, Pirjo Äänismaa 2002, Kaija Salmio 2004, Vuokko Ahoranta 2004, Mervi Aineslahti 2009, Päivi Immonen-Orpana 2009 and Arja Kaasinen 2009.
Dr. Markku Kankkunen has been nominated as Director of Board of
Education in the City of Savonlinna, Finland, 2000 -.
Other teaching merits
A member in international Environmental Education researcher group
(Euro-Awareness network), which produced collaboratively a teaching
material MESSAGES - Module on the Environment, Sustainability and
Awareness Geared towards European Schools. European Training and
Research Centre, University of Bradford. England. 1996. (ISBN: 1
85143 148 9)
Own University and Department level administrative
•Vice-Dean of the Faculty of Education, University of Joensuu 1992
Elected full member of the Faculty (University of Joensuu) meetings
Chair of the expert unit of Educational Studies (kasvatustieteen
asiantuntijayksikön vastuuhenkilö), Savonlinna Department
of Teacher Education, 2001 - 2004.
Elected member of the Department Council (laitosneuvosto), Savonlinna
Department of Teacher Education, 1992 -
Elected member of Department Council (opettajaneuvosto), Department
of Teacher Education, University of Helsinki, 1983 - 1986.
Own University and Department level
main adviser and custodian (custos) in Arja Kaasinen's doctoral
main adviser and custodian (custos) in Päivi Immonen-Orpana's doctoral
main adviser and custodian (custos) in Mervi Aineslahti's doctoral
main adviser and custodian (custos) in Vuokko Ahoranta's doctoral
main adviser and custodian (custos) in Kaija Salmio's doctoral
custodian (custos) in Pirjo Äänismaa's doctoral dissertation, 2002
• referee of Sirkka Salonen's licenciate's thesis, 2001
main adviser and custodian (custos) in Raimo Pitkänen's doctoral dissertation, 2001
main adviser and custodian (custos) in Ilona Wilska-Pekonen's doctoral dissertation,
• referee of Katri Pulkkinen's licenciate's thesis, 2000
main adviser and custodian (custos) in Markku Kankkunen's doctoral dissertation, 1999
• custodian (custos) in Ulla Härkönen's doctoral dissertation, 1997
main adviser and custodian (custos) in Vuokko Vienola's doctoral dissertation, 1995
to other Finnish universities and associations, academic services:
• an invited facilitator of The national seminar on Education for Sustainable Development (ESD) in higher
education, 13-14 December 2004, Turku, Finland organised by Ministry of Education and Baltic University Program. This meeting was hosted by Åbo Akademi University, Centre for Continuing Education (the Finnish national BUP-centre), supported by the Finnish Ministry of Education, promoting the Baltic 21 E-process, http://www.bup.fi/programme.htm.
• A full member of Educational Section of Sustainable Development
Committee of Finland. Prime Minister Matti Vanhanen appointed me and
he is chairman of the whole Committee. Chairman of the Educational
section is General Director Kirsi Lindroos, National Board of
• Editorial Board of Natura, periodical of the Association of Biology and Geography Teachers in Finland, March 2005 - .
• Asssessor of Dr. Eila Jeronen's application to become a docent of
environmental education at University of Oulu, 2004.
• Asssessor of Prof. Michael Reiss's (University of London)
application to become a docent of science education at University of
• Assessor for Dr. Annikki Lappalaisen's application to become a
docent of biological education and education for sustainable
development at the Faculty of Education, University of Helsinki, March
• referee of Tuulikki Kärkkäinen's doctoral thesis, University of
• referee of Marja Myllykangas' doctoral thesis, University of
• referee of Sami Surakka's licenciate's thesis. Helsinki University
of Technology, 2001.
• referee of Pirkko Turjanmaa's licenciate's thesis. University of
• referee of Taina Kaivola's doctoral thesis, University of Helsinki,
• referee of Sari Lappalainen's licenciate's thesis. University of
• referee of Maarit Martti's doctoral thesis, University of Tampere,
• referee for the periodical KASVATUS of the Finnish Society for
Educational Research, 1998-.
• member of the Council (hallitus) of the Finnish Foundation for
Environmental Education, representing University of Joensuu, 1996 -
• a founding member of the section of Sustainable Development
(Kestävän kehityksen jaos) of the Finnish Society for Quality (Suomen
laatuyhdistys), 1997. (Sanansaattaja Joensuusta 14(7), 20)
• a founding member of the local quality section of the Finnish
Society for Quality (Suomen laatuyhdistys), 1997.
• a member of the Council (hallitus) of the theme association of
Sustainable Development of the Finnish Society for Quality (Suomen
laatuyhdistys), 1997 - 2000.
• a member of the Council (hallitus) of Savonlinna Quality
Association, 1997 - 2000.
• Coordinator of Consortium 1 of the EU supported R&D project BEENET (Baltic
Environmental Education Network) project, 1996 - 1999.
• a member of the Executive Committee of the EU supported R&D project
BEENET (Baltic Environmental Education Network) project, 1996 - 1999.
• a -working member- (työjäsen) of the Finnish Society for Educational
Research, 1990 -
Memberships and services to foreign universities,
associations and organizations:
•Member of CEC
(Commission on Education and Communication) of IUCN ( the International Union for Conservation of Nature), 2009 -,
• An Invited participant of the EEA International conference, A global setting for European environmental monitoring — measuring what we must manage. EEA, Copenhagen, May 13 – 15, 2009, http://wcrp.wmo.int/documents/EEA_report.pdf
• Member of the editorial board of International Journal of Computing & Information Technology (IJCIT), 2008 -
• Participation in the High-Level Roundtable, 11th February 2009
Room P7C050 European Parliament, Brussels,
THE EUROPEAN BIODIVERSITY ACTION PLAN.
Counting down to 2010: State of Play and the post 2010 vision for Europe.
• a member of the European Foundation for Quality in E-Learning, June 25, 2009 -, http://www.qualityfoundation.org
• A reviewer of Sustainability: Science, Practice, & Policy (SSPP), a peer-reviewed, open access journal, http://ejournal.nbii.org/about/acknowledge.html in 2007
• A reviewer of Nordic Studies in Science Education (Nordina), 2005.
• A reviewer of Journal of Teacher Education and Training ( JTTE) 2005.
• Appointment as a Honorary Visiting Professor at University of Exeter (Starting
May 1, 2003).
• Invited Regional Advisor of Finland for AECT (The Association for
Educational Communications and Technology), 2002 -
• Co-Chair of ATEE's (Association for Teacher Education in Europe)
RDC17 (Research and Development Centre 17): Environmental Education
and Sustainability, 2001 - 2004.
• Referee for the AERA (American Educational Research Association)
Ecological and Environemental Education SIG (Special Interest Group),
• Referees's report of the manuscript: Environmental Management in
Practice: Analysis, Implementation and Policy. Editors: Nath, B. & al.
London: Routledge, 1997.
• Taking part as the only expert from
in the Environmental Education Summit, in which criteria to assure and
promote quality of Environmental Education were discussed, the 25th
Annual Conference of NAAEE (North American Association for
Environmental Education. November 1-5, 1996. San Fransisco Area,
Burlingame, USA. (Before that
meeting, I had worked for the whole year by correspondence with the
group that was working on the proposal for the quality criteria for
Research and development merits/R&D projects
am a partner in TEKES financed
Berkeley University co-operation project
Complex models in human information society, directed by Docent Vesa
Niskanen. Financial decision N:o 80356/04, Department of Economics,
University of Helsinki, FINLAND.
• a partner in SEED (School Development through Environmental
Education) is a EU supported R&D project coordinated by Dr. Günther
Pfaffenwimmer (Ministry of Education, Wien, Austria). It is closely
connected to OECD/CERI/ENSI international environmental education R&D
project, 2003 - 2006. I am a partner in the project with three of my
doctoral students, who are school teachers and test and improve our
theories in practice.
• a partner in OECD/CERI/ENSI (-Environment and School Initiatives,
ENSI-). ENSI is a leading international environmental education R&D
project. I have been as a scientific leader of the Finnish sub-project,
first 1996 - 1999, and then together with Docent Lea Houtsonen from
2000 - . Ministry of Education has given small sums to support Finnish
activities. The main benefits include being in contact with the best
EE developers in the world and providing this opportunity also to my
• a partner and an internal evaluator in SEEPS (Sustainability
Education in European Primary Schools) is a EU supported R&D project.
It is coordinated by Dr. Tony Shallcross (Manchester Metropolitan
University, England), 2000 - 2003.
• Together with Professor Paula Kyrö (University of Jyväskylä and
Jönköping International Business School) design experiments using
concept maps and collaborative knowledge building (Knowledge Forum®)
in entrepreneurship education, 2000.
• a partner in BEENET (Baltic Environmental Education Network), a EU
supported R&D project, a coordinator of Consortium #1, 1997 - 1999.
• European Union (Interreg 2) supported R&D project 'Environmental
Education and Network Economy in Finland and in St. Petersburg's area,
Russia', 1999 - 2000.
• from the Ministry of Education a grant to promote Education for
Sustainable Development, 1999 - 2001.
• a partner in the EU supported R&D project MEET (Multi-media,
Environmental Education & Training) coordinated by Institute for
Environmental Communication, University of Lüneburg,
• EU supported R&D project coordinated by Genoa University (Italy) 'Development
and formation of materials designed to improve environmental formation
and education at various levels in European schools', 1996 - 1999.
• a member of UNESCO supported international R&D project 'Human Rights
in European Textbooks' coordinated by Georg-Eckert-Institut fuer
Internationale Schulbuchforschung, Braunschweig, Germany, 1992 - 1994.
• I was from 1989 - 1994 a member of the informal textbook research
community in the Institute for Educational Text Research in Härnösand,
Sweden, co-ordinated by Dr. Staffan Selander (Lärarhögskolan i
Stockholm, Sweden). Associated to our research group was Dr. Egil
Børre Johnsen, who has written a research report of the textbook
research: Johnsen, E. 2001. Textbooks in the Kaleidoscope. A Critical
Survey of Literature and Research on Educational Texts. Tønsberg:
College, 2001. (Paper edition published by Scandinavian University
Press (Universitetsforlaget), Oslo 1993.) He refers to me e.g. in