Ravi Kant's Homepage
Education and degrees
• PhD (Veterinary Medicine and Bioinformatics) Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, University of Helsinki, Finland.
• P.G. Dip. (Bioinformatics) Institute of Bioinformatics and Applied Biotechnology, Bangalore, India.
• Bachelors in Information Technology, School of Computers and Information Sciences, IGNO University, India.
Current and past positions
2018 - (Present) Working as senior researcher at Faculty of Medicine and Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, University of Helsinki, Finland.
• Genomics of various pathogens.
• Coordinating efforts on COVID-19 related research at Helsinki University.
• Vector-borne diseases and climate change in Finland: mapping, modelling, mitigation project (funded by Academy of Finland)
• Involved in Versatile Emerging infectious disease Observatory project (funded by EU).
• Next-generation sequencing based test to identifies and measures microbial cell-free DNA in plasma from clinically relevant samples for bacteria’s, viruses, fungi and eukaryotic parasites (funded by HUSLAB).
• Next-generation sequencing approaches for combating the antibiotic resistome of Mycobacterium tuberculosis.
• Meta-genomics and viromics of different vertebrates.
• Exome sequencing and analysis related to various diseases.
• Database and website development and management.
• Developing oral animal vaccines - targeting FENP and parvovirus in carnivores.
2008 - 2018 Worked as a researcher at Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, University of Helsinki, Finland.
• Understanding the molecular mechanisms of gut commensal colonization, pathogen exclusion, and host-microbe interplay, Academy of Finland (2014-2018).
• Center of excellence in Microbial Food Safety Research project, Academy of Finland (2008-2013).
• Genomics, meta-genomics and transcriptome analysis of several Lactobacillus species.
• Genomics and meta-genomics of Akkermansia muciniphila.
• Comparative genomics of Verrucomicrobia.
2005 - 2008 Worked as a researcher/bioinformatician and also took some courses at University of Turku, Finland.
• Various bioinformatics related projects.
• Gene expression profiling of at-risk children for type 1 diabetes.
• Identification of Novel Genes Characteristic for Human Embryonic Stem Cells (hESC).
• hESC database fulfilling international MIAME and MAGE standards.
2004 - 2005 - Worked as a researcher at INRIA-IRISA (CNRS), Rennes, France.
• Linguistic Analysis of Biological Sequences.
2004 - Worked as research intern, Molecular Biophysics Unit, Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, India.
• Generating algorithm for Comparative Modelling and Identification of Start and End Signatures in Secondary Structures of proteins.
2003 - Worked as research trainee at Bioinformatics Centre, Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore.
• Sweet Proteins - Comparative Modelling and Docking Studies in Curculin, Mabinlin, Miraculin with T1R2-T1R3 Receptor.
Supervision, Teaching and organizing scientific meetings
• Currently I am supervising two doctoral student (Krisi Aaltonen, M.Sc. and Jenni Virtanen, M.Sc.).
• I have completed University pedagogy UP1 and UP2.1 (10 credits).
• Currently organizing COVID-19 seminar series at Helsinki university.
• I have been involved in organizing scientific seminars at Faculty of Veterinary Medicine.
Achievements, awards and grants
• Grant of 563000 € from Jene and Aatos Erkko foundation on “Next-generation sequencing approaches for combinating the antibiotic resistome of Mycobacterium tuberculosis” together with Dr. Tarja Sironen and Dr. Fathiah Zakham.
• Appointed as editor for PeerJ journal.
• Guest editor for Antibiotics for a special issue "The Genomics of Pathogens"
• Lead guest editor for issue entitled “From Microbial Genomics to Metagenomics” in International Journal of Genomics.
• Grant from Finnish Foundation of Veterinary Research.
• Funding for (2013-2014) continuing research by ABS, Helsinki University.
• Grant of 6000 euros by TULI (Science Park, Finland) for acquiring patent, IPR and market survey for entrepreneurial idea. (www.tuli.info)
• FEMS young scientist grant for 2008, 2010 and 2012.
• Reviewer for Scientific Reports, PLoS ONE, Bioinformatics, PeerJ, Microbial Biotechnology, BMC Veterinary Research, Genomics, J. Genomics, mSystems (ASM), BBRC, FEBS Lett., etc.
• Reviewer for Netherlands Organization for Scientific Research (NWO).
• Received INRIA/IRISA (France) fellowship for the year 2004-2005 for a research project.
• Gold Medal for one of India’s biggest entrepreneur and incubation competition ANVENSEN III, 2005 organized by IIM, Ahmedabad in collaboration with Government of India.
• Offered to start my own company at IIM, Ahmedabad campus with starting support and initial funding.
• Chancellor grant, Helsinki University for 2011, 2013, 2015 and 2017.
• Travel grant for short presentation at 16th European Congress of Immunology, Paris France.
• Travel grant for presenting my work at MDI Stem Cell Symposium, Salisbury Cove, USA.
• Received a grant by Embassy of France in India.
• Awarded a certificate from UNESCO for passing united nations general knowledge test held by UNESCO.
• Received a certificate from Ministry of Human Resources and Development, Government of India, for participating in poster making competition on wild life conservation.
Playing Football, Cricket, Badminton, Tennis, Swimming, tracking in the forest and spending time at our cottage.
Wife: Evi Kant (Kanttori, Hausjärven Seurakunta, Suomi)
Beloved Daughters: Liisa & Saara Kant
Father: Janardan Prasad (Retired University Professor of Entomology, Rajendra Agriculture University, India)
Mother: Nilam Prasad
Brother: Shashi Kant (Assistant Professor, University of Massachusetts Medical School, Boston, USA)
Sister: Vandana Kumari (Post doctoral researcher, Charité, Germany)