Ravi Kant's Homepage
Education, degrees and titles
• Adj. Associate Professor (Docent) of Medical Microbiology, University of Helsinki, Finland.
• Assistant Professor, Medical University of Gdansk, Poland (Visiting).
• PhD (Veterinary Medicine and Bioinformatics) Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, University of Helsinki, Finland.
Current and past positions
2018 - (Present) Working as university researcher at Faculty of Medicine and Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, University of Helsinki, Finland.
• Genomics of various pathogens.
• Coordinating efforts on COVID-19 related research at Helsinki University.
• Vector-borne diseases and climate change in Finland: mapping, modelling, mitigation project (funded by Academy of Finland)
• Involved in Versatile Emerging infectious disease Observatory project (funded by EU).
• SARS-CoV-2 sequencing and analysis.
• Development of various animal models to study emerging infectious diseases. Leading animal experiments and work in biosafety level 3 (BSL3) at University of Helsinki.
• Development of various methods and pipelines for genomics (NGS data).
• Genomics of parapox and monkeypox virus.
• Next-generation sequencing based test to identifies and measures microbial cell-free DNA in plasma from clinically relevant samples for bacteria’s, viruses, fungi and eukaryotic parasites (funded by HUSLAB).
• Next-generation sequencing approaches for combating the antibiotic resistome of Mycobacterium tuberculosis.
• Meta-genomics and viromics of different vertebrates.
• Exome sequencing and analysis related to various diseases.
• Developing oral animal vaccines - targeting FENP and parvovirus in carnivores.
• Database and website development and management.
2008 - 2018 Worked as a researcher at Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, University of Helsinki, Finland.
• Understanding the molecular mechanisms of gut commensal colonization, pathogen exclusion, and host-microbe interplay, Academy of Finland (2014-2018).
• Center of excellence in Microbial Food Safety Research project, Academy of Finland (2008-2013).
• Genomics, meta-genomics and transcriptome analysis of several Lactobacillus species.
• Genomics and meta-genomics of Akkermansia muciniphila.
• Comparative genomics of Verrucomicrobia.
2005 - 2008 Worked as a researcher/bioinformatician and also took some courses at University of Turku, Finland.
• Various bioinformatics related projects.
• Gene expression profiling of at-risk children for type 1 diabetes.
• Identification of Novel Genes Characteristic for Human Embryonic Stem Cells (hESC).
• hESC database fulfilling international MIAME and MAGE standards.
2004 - 2005 - Worked as a researcher at INRIA-IRISA (CNRS), Rennes, France.
• Linguistic Analysis of Biological Sequences.
2004 - Worked as research intern, Molecular Biophysics Unit, Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, India.
• Generating algorithm for Comparative Modelling and Identification of Start and End Signatures in Secondary Structures of proteins.
2003 - Worked as research trainee at Bioinformatics Centre, Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore.
• Sweet Proteins - Comparative Modelling and Docking Studies in Curculin, Mabinlin, Miraculin with T1R2-T1R3 Receptor.
Supervision, Teaching and organizing scientific meetings
• Supervised PhD thesis of J. Virtanen (completed 05/2022).
• Currently I am supervising four doctoral candidates.
• I am an external member of PhD thesis committee for Mirte van der Heijden, Noora Salokorpi and Kaisa Jaakkola (University of Helsinki).
• Reviewer for Docent application at University of Helsinki.
• Reviewer of master’s thesis at University of Helsinki.
• Organizer, lecturer, and evaluator for the TMED-503 Infection Biology course 2022 onwards (5 credit), Faculty of Medicine, University of Helsinki.
• Building the course platform and producing material for the Moodle for TMED-503 Infection Biology 2022 onwards.
• I have completed University pedagogy UP1 and UP2.1 (10 credits).
• Currently organizing COVID-19 seminar series at Helsinki university.
• Host for the weekly Viral Zoonosis Research Unit Meeting (VZGM) seminar series (2018- present). Department of Virology, Medicum, University of Helsinki, Finland
• I have been involved in organizing scientific seminars at Faculty of Veterinary Medicine.
Achievements, awards and grants
• EU-Horizon-HLTH-2023 grant of 458000 for “Pipeline for Rapid Diagnostics for Emergency Transboundary Infectious Diseases” with Dr. Tarja Sironen (2023-2027).
• Grant of 563000 € from Jene and Aatos Erkko foundation on “Next-generation sequencing approaches for combating the antibiotic resistome of Mycobacterium tuberculosis” together with Dr. Tarja Sironen and Dr. Fathiah Zakham.
• Reviewer for Netherlands Organization for Scientific Research (NWO).
• Reviewer for Slovak Research and Development Agency.
• Selected among 6 mentors for the prestigious Early Career Champions mentorship program between University of Helsinki and University of Nairobi for 2023-2024.
• Appointed as editor for PeerJ journal.
• Editor Frontiers in Microbiology and Editorial Board member of Frontiers in Tuberculosis.
• Editorial Board member of Microbial Insights.
• Guest editor for Antibiotics for a special issue "The Genomics of Pathogens"
• Lead guest editor for issue entitled “From Microbial Genomics to Metagenomics” in International Journal of Genomics.
• Grant from Finnish Foundation of Veterinary Research.
• Funding for (2013-2014) continuing research by ABS, Helsinki University.
• Grant of 6000 euros by TULI (Science Park, Finland) for acquiring patent, IPR and market survey for entrepreneurial idea. (www.tuli.info)
• FEMS young scientist grant for 2008, 2010 and 2012.
• Reviewer for Scientific Reports, PLoS ONE, Bioinformatics, PeerJ, Microbial Biotechnology, BMC Veterinary Research, Genomics, J. Genomics, mSystems (ASM), BBRC, FEBS Lett., etc.
• Received INRIA/IRISA (France) fellowship for the year 2004-2005 for a research project.
• Gold Medal for one of India’s biggest entrepreneur and incubation competition ANVENSEN III, 2005 organized by IIM, Ahmedabad in collaboration with Government of India.
• Offered to start my own company at IIM, Ahmedabad campus with starting support and initial funding.
• Chancellor grant, Helsinki University for 2011, 2013, 2015 and 2017.
• Travel grant for short presentation at 16th European Congress of Immunology, Paris France.
• Travel grant for presenting my work at MDI Stem Cell Symposium, Salisbury Cove, USA.
• Received a grant by Embassy of France in India.
• Awarded a certificate from UNESCO for passing united nations general knowledge test held by UNESCO.
• Received a certificate from Ministry of Human Resources and Development, Government of India, for participating in poster making competition on wild life conservation.
Playing Football, Cricket, Badminton, Tennis, Swimming, tracking in the forest and spending time at our cottage.
Wife: Evi Kant (Kanttori, Hausjärven Seurakunta, Suomi)
Beloved Daughters: Liisa & Saara Kant
Father: Janardan Prasad (Retired University Professor of Entomology, Rajendra Agriculture University, India)
Mother: Nilam Prasad
Brother: Shashi Kant (Assistant Professor, Harvard Medical School, Boston, USA)
Sister: Vandana Kumari (Post doctoral researcher, Charité, Germany)